Kaunas is the second-largest city in Lithuania and the historical centre of Lithuanian economic, academic, and cultural life. The city is the capital of Kaunas County, and the seat of the Kaunas city municipality and the Kaunas District Municipality. It is also the seat of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Kaunas. Kaunas is located at the confluence of the two largest Lithuanian rivers, the Nemunas and the Neris, and is near the Kaunas Reservoir, the largest body of water in the whole of Lithuania.
City area: 157 km² (61 sq miles)
Metropolitan area: 8089 km² (3123 sq miles)
City population: 288363 (2018 y)
Metropolitan population: 92644 (2018 y)
Density: 1935/km² (5010/sq miles)
Summer: UTC+3 (EEST)
Kaunas Castle is a medieval castle situated in Kaunas, the second-largest city in Lithuania. Archeological evidence suggests that it was originally built during the mid-14th century, in the Gothic style. Its site is strategic – a rise on the banks of the Nemunas River near its confluence with the Neris River. At the beginning of the 21st century, about one-third of the castle was still standing.
Learn more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaunas_Castle
Pažaislis Monastery and the Church of the Visitation (Lithuanian: Pažaislio vienuolynas ir Švenčiausios Mergelės Marijos apsilankymo pas Elžbieta bažnyčia, Polish: Klasztor w Pożajściu) form the largest monastery complex in Lithuania, and the most magnificent example of Italian Baroque architecture in the country. It is situated in the Petrašiūnai elderate of Kaunas, Lithuania, on a peninsula in the Kaunas Reservoir near the Kaunas Yacht Club. It was declared a cultural monument.
The Ninth Fort (Lithuanian: Devintas Fortas) is a stronghold in the northern part of Šilainiai elderate, Kaunas, Lithuania. It is a part of the Kaunas Fortress, which was constructed in the late 19th century. During the occupation of Kaunas and the rest of Lithuania by the Soviet Union, the fort was used as a prison and way-station for prisoners being transported to labour camps. After the occupation of Lithuania by Nazi Germany, the fort was used as a place of execution for Jews, captured Soviets, and others.
Learn more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninth_Fort
Laisvės Alėja (literally Liberty Boulevard or Liberty Avenue) is a prominent pedestrian street in the city of Kaunas, Lithuania. It stretches between the St. Michael the Archangel’s Byzantine-style church to the Central Post Office and Tadas Ivanauskas Zoological Museum, around the Kaunas Old Town, the oldest section of Kaunas. For a long time it was the main commercial district of Kaunas.
Stretching for 1.6 kilometres, Laisvės Alėja is the longest pedestrian street in Eastern Europe. Motor vehicles cannot travel along Laisvės Alėja, but can cross it at intersections with other streets where motor traffic is permitted. The boulevard is separated into two walkways by a median strip lined with linden trees.
M. K. Čiurlionis National Art Museum
The M. K. Čiurlionis National Art Museum is a group of museums based in Kaunas, Lithuania. It is primarily dedicated to exhibiting and publicizing the works of the painter and musician M.K. Čiurlionis (1875–1911).
The museum was founded in 1921, and opened a temporary gallery in 1925. It was renamed Vytautas the Great Museum of Culture in 1936, receiving its current name in 1944. An expansion took place in 1969. The interwar part of the building was built in Art Deco and early funcionalism style
Kaunas Town Hall
The Town Hall of Kaunas (Lithuanian: Kauno rotušė) stands in the middle of the Town Hall Square at the heart of the Old Town, Kaunas, Lithuania.The structure dates from the 16th century. It houses a Museum of Ceramics.
The Town Hall is distinguished by its slenderness and grace. Its tower of height of 53 meters is the highest in the old city. Present Town Hall located in the square was not the first in Kaunas. The previous one was destroyed by the fire.
Learn more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_Hall,_Kaunas
More POIs could be found on official “Visit Kaunas” website: http://visit.kaunas.lt/en/